- GIFs are awesome but terrible for quality and performance
- Replacing GIFs with
<video> is better but has perf. drawbacks: not preloaded, uses range requests
- Now you can
<img src=".mp4">s in Safari Technology Preview
- Early results show mp4s in
<img> tags display 20x faster and decode 7x faster than the GIF equivalent – in addition to being 1/14th the file size!
- Background CSS video & Responsive Video can now be a “thing”.
- Finally cinemagraphs without the downsides of GIFs!
- Now we wait for the other browsers to catch-up: This post is 46MB on Chrome but 2MB in Safari TP
Special thanks to: Eric Portis
... read the whole story at calendar.perfplanet.com.